Attawapiskat Chief Theresa Spence maintains she has not agreed to third-party management, despite a line in a statement issued by the Minister of Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development John Duncan on Sunday, pointing to the contrary.

"I am pleased that Chief Spence has acknowledged the necessity of working with our Government, the third party management team, and Emergency Management Ontario to get help to the residents of Attawapiskat," said Duncan in his statement.

However, speaking from her office in Attawapiskat, Chief Spence told CBC News, "His office did call me Sunday morning, but I made it clear. I'm not going to allow third-party management in my office."
"A third-party manager is not needed in my community," said Spence.

While Chief Spence does confirm that emergency supplies were received on Saturday, she adds the line in the statement is "misleading. The minister is misleading the people, my members."

Spence said she has asked "for a meeting with John Duncan."

"He has to admit that he made a mistake, in putting my community under third-party management."

"This is an emergency crisis, not a financial one."

Spence hopes Duncan will agree to meet with her as early as this week.

And though Spence would travel to Ottawa to meet with him, she hopes Duncan will afford her "the courtesy" of meeting with her in Attawapiskat, something he has yet to do.

In his statement, Duncan also confirmed the purchase of seven additional modular units requested by Chief Spence, making that a total of 22 modular units for the community of Attawapiskat.