Democracy Gone Astray

Democracy, being a human construct, needs to be thought of as directionality rather than an object. As such, to understand it requires not so much a description of existing structures and/or other related phenomena but a declaration of intentionality.
This blog aims at creating labeled lists of published infringements of such intentionality, of points in time where democracy strays from its intended directionality. In addition to outright infringements, this blog also collects important contemporary information and/or discussions that impact our socio-political landscape.

All the posts here were published in the electronic media – main-stream as well as fringe, and maintain links to the original texts.

[NOTE: Due to changes I haven't caught on time in the blogging software, all of the 'Original Article' links were nullified between September 11, 2012 and December 11, 2012. My apologies.]

Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Teen Who Ran From Chemo 18 Years Ago Now Cancer-Free

BOSTON -- Eighteen years ago, 16-year-old Billy Best's story made national headlines when he ran away from his adoptive Norwell home, refusing anymore chemotherapy treatments.

Best had been diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma and doctors said he had six months to live without the treatment. But Best wanted alternative measures.

Today at age 34, Best is cancer-free, happy, and he and his girlfriend, Maya, are parents of 14-month-old Max.

Best said when he was 16, he didn’t think he'd live to see 18, let alone have children.

Initially following doctor's orders, he endured five rounds of chemotherapy. Best said he lost weight and smelled different.

"I could smell what I thought was poison coming out of my body. I didn't think I would make it through the treatments," said Best.

His solution was to sell some of his possessions and run away to Texas, where he lived in a warehouse. Three days later, he learned of the worry his parents who did not know where he was or whether he was dead or alive.

"It's mind blowing to me that I did that," Best said. "I just felt like I had to leave. I had to get away from that treatment."

Best wanted to take an alternative approach to his illness. When viewers around the country learned of his story, they sent him letters and made phone calls offering suggestions.

Best changed his diet, stopped eating red meat, white flour, sugar, substituted soy for dairy and brown rice for white rice. He also incorporated plenty of organic vegetables and filtered water into his diet.

In addition to supplements and vitamin C, he began drinking Essiac herbal tea. But perhaps the biggest and most controversial aspect of his self-designed regime included 714-X, a Canadian immune-system injection that he says saved his life.

The injection is not approved for use in the United States, and according to the National Cancer Institute, there is no scientific evidence to support claims that it is effective in treating any type of cancer or illness.

"Taking a therapy that would boost my immune system so that my body could fight the cancer itself made more sense to me than poisoning me with chemotherapy when I was already so sick," said Best.

But after just a couple of months into a six-month treatment cycle, Best said there were results.

Best went back to Dana Farber in March 1995, to have CAT scans and gallium scans, and there was no cancer. He is still cancer free today.

Best has become an advocate for young cancer patients everywhere, including a young boy named Danny Hauser. In 2009, Hauser refused chemo based on religious grounds.

"I've been put in a unique situation and I feel I'm in a good place and have an opportunity to help other people that are going through the same thing," said Best.

Best said his son has given him more to live for that ever before.

"Having a son, I just have to really think about the future so I can be around and watch him grow," Best said.

Best is also writing his first book, The Billy Best Story, which will be out early this summer.

Original Article
Source: the boston channel
Author: --

No comments:

Post a Comment